Who is Listening to You? Getting to Know Your Audience
Do you feel like you’re screaming your worth across social media but you’re not sure who really cares? Well, you can find out! Social media platforms provide you different analytics that display a wealth of information.
We’ve talked a lot lately about how to get to know your audience. Here are our first two articles:
Have you done the tasks set out in the previous two articles? Now, let’s move on to analytics and using them to help you build a more accurate picture of who your audience is!
We’re going to focus on Facebook Insights, but most social media platforms have some type of analytics you can take a look at. Some of the top things you want to keep an eye on are:
- The total reach of your posts.
- The number of engagements.
- How people are engaging with you.
The video above walks you through mock Facebook Insights data. You’ll learn how to:
-See the demographics of those who are engaging with your posts the most.
-See the time of day your Facebook fans are online.
-Find out which type of posts your fans like and respond to most.
So, watch the video and really get to know who is listening to you! Now, let’s talk about what you can do with this information.
Understanding your analytics allows you to do a few different things:
- Evaluate if this social platform is working for your company. Facebook is a great tool for most companies, but if YOUR audience isn’t there, then it may not be something to put much effort into. Just like we explained here, if you’re a B2B, you may need to put more effort into LinkedIn. See who and when people are engaging with you on the platform and then decide if it is worth it to move forward. NOTE: Trying a platform for a month will not be enough to make this decision.
- Create engaging content. As you take a closer look at your analytics you’ll be able to see what types of posts you should create. When you understand who is listening to you on social media, you can begin talking directly to them, their struggles, successes, humor and personalities. As we’ve stressed over and over, understanding WHO you’re talking to will help you create marketing plans that work.
- Make decisions on when and how to post. You have awesome content to post…now what do you do next? If you watched the video above, you’ll know what times your audience is most engaged on Facebook, so now you can schedule posts to go out at that time. Also, now that you know what types of posts they like best, you can work on creating more like them. Do they love videos? Make a video from the content you have. Even a simple slideshow of pictures can sometimes do the trick! You simply want to create more of what your audience loves, and show it when they’re most willing to receive it. But, remember there is also something to be said for variety in the content you create.
Remember data helps you make decisions but it’s not an exact science. You want to share your company’s personality and mission with your followers. Stilted content that all looks exactly the same isn’t what you should take away from this post. Instead, give your audience variety, but always keep in mind who you’re talking to.
Just keep giving them what they’ll love!
Keep following our “getting to know your audience” series! In a few weeks, you’ll meet our content strategists who will help you start honing your message for the right audience.