5 Search Engine Optimization Tips: Get the Most Out of Your Strategy
Want to get your business listed on the first page of Google? Despite what some people may tell you, there is no “trick” to this. It simply involves some work on your part.
First, write down a list of keywords (search terms) that you believe people would use to find your business. Then, ask yourself one simple question, “Is my business the best on the internet for this keyword?”
If the answer is yes, follow these simple steps:
- Write good content. This may seem obvious, but so many people overlook this vital step. Of all the SEO “tricks,” you should spend the most time focusing on content because that is ultimately what you have the most control over. Make sure your content is written for the user. Write your content about the keywords/phrases that people are searching for related to your business. Creating quality content naturally creates people that will link to you. And you want links.
- Do not try to fool Google (or other search engines). In the past, many people have tried to “keyword stuff” their content by duplicating words and content for the sake of a better Google ranking for that word or phrase. If you haven’t figured it out yet, Google is smart. Very smart. It will eventually blacklist sites that have pages that are duplicating content from other websites and keyword stuffing.
- Each page of your site should focus on one keyword. Use that in your content, the page title, and the URL.
- Not on LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook? Well, you need to be. Your social relevance is a key factor in search engine ranking. After you have these accounts set up, be sure to add the icons to your website and give people the ability to share your information.
- Blog. The simple act of blogging gives your potential clients the ability to connect with you, get their questions answered, and consider you an authority – which in turn results in higher search engine ranking. What are the questions that potential clients ask you? Write a blog to answer these questions!